Sunday, September 9, 2007

Video Screen Captures using Smart Board


Last week I practiced capturing screen shots from a United Streaming video about farms. The students really liked that we could write on the screen shots. I dropped the photos into RockYou.com slideshows with comments in Spanish. We will use that to review our learning on Monday. The next step is to have the students doing all the work and deciding what to capture and why. This might be a fun way to expand on a lesson about sequence of events. The possibilities are almost endless!
Now if I can only figure out how to embed the slide show in my blog post.

6 comments:

Jim Hollis said...

Way to go Jon! You did it!

Jim

(Your friend from Teachers Love Smart Boards)

Jim Hollis said...

Hi Jon,

After reading this post, I started thinking about how I would embed a video or slideshow into my blog.

Here's what I came up with...

1. Subscribe to YouTube
2. Install Windows Media Encoder
3. Have Windows Media Encoder create a WMV formatted file using screen capture.
4. Upload new WMV file to YouTube
5. Put the YouTube embed code into your blog.

If you've never used Media Encoder to screen capture, you should try it. It's one of the neatest programs around for creating short videos of what your doing on your computer. Best of all, it's free!

Take care!

Jim

Joseph Miller said...

This is really cool! I really like the use of Rockyou to add the comments in Spanish. I had some trouble last week getting rockyou slideshows to run in the district. Have you had any issues?

Jon Fisher said...

I was able to drop the rockyou html code in as a blog entry but I had to add an embed code first. Unfortunately it doesn't play when viewed from within our school district.

Jon Fisher said...

Jim,
Thanks for your post. To embed my slide show I paused the video on my Smart Board, wrote the words and definitions that I wanted to share with the students then I used the video screencapture software that came with the Smartboard to save the shot as a notebook file. Then I copied the notebook file to MS Paint and saved it as a jpeg file. I just uploaded the images to the website Rockyou.com and added spanish translations and Voilà!

Kelly Berry said...

Great work Jon! After seeing your work I am looking forward to our plant unit as well!